[Using Sakai] LMS evaluations & comparisions?

Robin K. Hill hill at uwyo.edu
Mon Oct 29 09:08:22 PDT 2012

Gregory Guthrie poses a difficulty question -- Frequently-Wondered, if
not Frequently-Answered -- and I'd like to take it on, having been in an
LMS-selection phase that has played out over, well, several years now.
I (and others) have spent a lot of time looking for written advice along
the lines you mention.  With these results:

There is no authoritative, objective, and comprehensive comparison of
LMS choices.  The levels of detail that need to be probed, in order to
form a complete opinion, are virtually bottomless.  The range of
products is in flux.  As you suspect, selection seems often to be based
on anecdote, sales calls, or comfort.

Institutions that have arrived at a decision through one of these paths
may be loath to reveal so.  Or they may demur out of respect for unknown
factors, at other places, that did not figure in their own criteria.
Once a choice has been made, stakeholders at the institution need to
come together to learn and manage the product, and only the most
confident committees stand to gain from exposing their deliberations to
second-guessing.

It's a messy business.  I doubt if you'll uncover a Moodle-to-Sakai
silver bullet, a document that "proves" one choice better than another.
In fact, I'm afraid broadcasting such records would tend to discourage
deep investigation.

We ourselves are developing an RFP, for public bids, which I think will
be a great help.  The main selection work can focus on developing
meaningful requirements.  Which is hard enough!