[Using Sakai] LMS evaluations & comparisions?

Gregory Guthrie guthrie at mum.edu
Sun Oct 14 22:04:46 PDT 2012

Sorry if this is an FAQ - but we are going through an evaluation of LMS choices, and while I am advocating Sakai for various reasons, we have a local home-grown contingent of Moodle users, who naturally have a familiarity bias even though they have never tried any other LMS system.

There are lots of various comparisons of LMS's around, most that I found were fairly old and in this always updating area not so relevant I think.

Are there any current important points of comparison between Sakai & Moodle, or is it just a Mac/Windows familiarity issue.  ;-)
Any advice on how to help oversee an informed choice, or if it really makes much difference?
I have a preference for Sakai for multiple reasons, some subjective (familiarity, good UI), and others technical (Java based), but don't have any real experience with Moodle, and thus any strong basis for recommending that Moodle users switch (we want one LMS system as standard).

Seeing that Blackboard hired Charles Severance as part of their Education Open Source Services is interesting, in his book he seems to downplay any competition between Sakai & Moodle, and talk about integration of both to standards. I do see that BBoard open source support really currently means (their) MoodleRooms, and don't see any SakaiRooms there, although it hints that with Severance it is considering that direction. :-)
[his role ... "to guide the company's efforts to support clients using Sakai."]

Someone else here recently also asked about migration issues for going from Moodle to Sakai; the only things I found online about that were limited and from 2009, is there some other place to look for better and more recent information and references?