[Using Sakai] Twenty-First Century Interactions on Sakai?

Amber D. Marcu amarcu at rsmart.com
Wed Oct 17 07:30:13 PDT 2012

Hi Marshall,

My response is long overdue and may not be all that useful at this point,
but perhaps for future semesters it may help.  I'm piggy-backing on what
Mr. Algaze suggested regarding the use of Resources and web pages.

I really like Lesson Builder, too.  But as an instructor with some web
design knowledge, I've done a lot of work in Sakai CLE using HTML pages
stored in Resources to present learning modules of information.  A "lite
demonstration" of some pages that load into the main frame of CLE can be
seen in my ePortfolio
here<https://scholar.vt.edu/access/content/user/adevans/Public/DVDPortfolio/Samples/samples/training/track_d/Introduction/homepage.html>.

If you have comfort in creating and using web pages, you can either choose
to create files directly within the CLE or by using a 3rd Party software
(such as *Dreamweaver* or another easy-favorite of faculty,
*SoftChalk<http://softchalk.com/>
*) and using WebDAV to upload the files.  I've used both, but I prefer to
use Dreamweaver and to upload the files.  SoftChalk is great to create
Flash-based quizzes, animations, etc. though!  They even have a cloud
offering, now.  But I like doing it with DW, because I like the control and
I can use relative urls for linking the pages together, saving me trouble
in the long run when I copy courses from semester-to-semester.

I'm not going to say it's an easy process to do it this way, but it's not
impossible and often results in the outcomes I desire.  However, there are
caveats: you need to know something about web design (for Dreamweaver), you
should know something about creating learning modules of content (for
SoftChalk or equivalent), and you should be willing to spend a lot of time
doing both of these as the initial creation can be quite time-consuming.
 That said, subsequent changes and adjustments are far less painful and you
always have an "original" copy sitting on your computer (or in the cloud if
you wish) for whenever you wish to reuse the content.

One more thing to note.  If you want to use JavaScript, oftentimes this can
be accomplished by checking an option within the Resources area that houses
said script.  At least in rSmart Sakai CLE 2.8 under Resources >
"Folder_Name" > Actions > Edit Details > "User-uploaded HTML may contain
dangerous scripts. To override default behavior and allow unrestricted
HTML, check this box."  This little thing has allowed for me to run php RSS
feeds, (most) .js files, and other items I probably should not be able to
enjoy.

If you're interested in looking into using Resources to house web pages (or
the pages from something like SoftChalk <http://softchalk.com/>), I've
included some handouts from when I was working at Virginia Tech to help
explain what I'm talking about.

Best of luck,

Amber D. Marcu
Academic Technology Consultant, rSmart