[Using Sakai] paper exams

Regan, Alan Alan.Regan at pepperdine.edu
Tue Oct 9 22:59:27 PDT 2012

If I was in this situation, I'd likely use the Assignments tool.

Students take a paper-based exam.  My guess is that these paper-based exams are manually graded with hand-written notes.  I would set up a "non-electronic" assignment and use this to share the documents back with the students.

I'd use the "Download All" and uncompress the archive file.  I'd use the "Feedback Attachment(s)" folder to place each student paper for return.  At our university, all of our copiers have built-in conversion to PDF so the prof could run each test through the scanner with any written notes, and attach the resulting PDF documents for each student.  I'd then update the grades.csv file with the overall scores.  If necessary, I could modify the comments.txt file in each student folder as well, writing up the questions, student answer, correct answer, and any notes, but would likely rely on the PDF to do the talking.  I zip up the main folder (not "bulk_download" but the folder with the name of the assignment) and use the Upload All feature to complete the work.

If the Gradebook is using Categories or Categories & Weighting, I could add the assignment to the gradebook but simply associate it into the tests category for the overall gradebook calculation.

I can do all of this without the student doing anything in the class site, so the Assignments tool offers more flexibility.  Tests & Quizzes is designed to administer online exams, so it requires at least one student to actually take the exam before "Scores" are available.  Of course, I can see the logic in trying to accomplish this via Tests & Quizzes.  Another way of looking at it, though, is that an assessment may have the label of "test" or "quiz," but it's an assignment to complete work by a deadline, whether take-home or in-class.

If Assignments seems too complicated, you could also deploy the contrib PostEm tool.  It takes simple .CSV files and displays a row of data for each student. Students see only their own row and all of the data saved for each heading in their row.  The trouble is, PostEm doesn't integrate with the Gradebook.  (It was designed as a basic, free-form gradebook.)  Our hosting partner deployed the tool for us for any unique gradebook requests that would fall outside the standard gradebook tool.

Hopefully there's something here to offer ideas...

-- Alan Regan

Message: 2