[Using Sakai] sakai-user Digest, Vol 44, Issue 5

Gregory Guthrie guthrie at mum.edu
Tue Oct 9 14:28:50 PDT 2012

Jim, thanks.

Isn't this a valid (and common?) use case? Itemized evaluations and results (like exams) but done offline (like some assignments).
How do other faculty do this?

How does this relate to the use of scanned exams, I have seen some descriptions of uploading externally graded exams from e.g. automatic scanners, etc. but these basically just enter a column of grades, no item details, like adding an assignment. (I'd guess that is where they go in the database?)

Certainly adding a single column to the gradebook by editing a .csv file is supported, but that skips the step of student feedback on each question.

We got an answer to this before that I didn't quite understand; (sakai-user Digest, Vol 42, Issue 18)
       > You need to find the submission in the database and set the forgrade column to true:
       >
       > update SAM_ASSESSMENTGRADING_T ag
       > set ag.FORGRADE = true
       > WHERE ag.publishedassessmentid = :asessment_id and
       > ag.ASSESSMENTGRADINGID = :submission_id
Is this saying create an exam, no actual submissions, and then fake the database to think there were and then one could grade them?

Would this work? Of course it is pretty sketchy to have to fiddle the database to do this!