[Using Sakai] Sakai usage & features

Adam Marshall adam.marshall at oucs.ox.ac.uk
Wed Jul 18 06:04:35 PDT 2012

I have added comments below.

From: Gregory Guthrie [mailto:guthrie at mum.edu]
Sent: 18 July 2012 12:58
To: Adam Marshall; Steve Swinsburg
Cc: sakai-user at collab.sakaiproject.org
Subject: RE: [Using Sakai] Sakai usage & features

Thanks.

One common scenario is that I want to create a sub-page (e.g. a monthly overview graphic) from a page. To do that it seems like what I have to do is go into a HTML page editor and create the page, save on another server, then upload to resources, and then link to it.

Not at all, you would create your whole website in MSoft Expression web and then upload the whole thing using webdav into sakai. Or you can create the pages using the built in WYSIWYG editor  within Sakai.

This not only means I have another tool required to create pages, and another external repository at least for staging pages, but also that the sub-pages are all visible to users.

Previously I was just creating web sites using MSoft Expression web, and it was much more convenient to create and manage a site, create and move and explore pages, and what was visible to users was easy and explicit since it was only via URL links. Also I don't want to clutter up the Resources directory with references to HTML pages that are just part of the navigation of the site, but just with downloadable documents and such. Is there a way to have subsidiary web pages in the Sakai site but not directly listed as an item in the Resources page? Can one add another Tool or directory just to keep the additional web pages but not have it user visible?

You can create hidden folders in Resources. From our FAQ: https://weblearn.ox.ac.uk/access/content/group/info/guidance/adminfaq.html

How do I include a file in the resources tool which cannot be browsed by users? In other words, how do I create a hidden folder?
A: Create a new folder (call this 'folder A') and use the hide folder radio button to hide it. This option is located in the Availability and Access section just below 'timed release' on the Edit Details page of a folder. Now create another folder inside the hidden folder ('folder B'); now ensure that this folder (B) is not hidden (on Edit Details page) and then access the folder permissions page, place a tick in the hidden column against all the roles that you want to be able to view the contents of the folder (B). Files can now be placed in folder B.
Folder A will now appear greyed out to maintainer & contribute role but can still be clicked on. Other roles will not see if unless explicitly given permission to do so. Folder B is technically visible to all but as non-maintainers cannot enter folder A, they will never see folder B (but they will be able to access its contents if given the appropriate URL).

Am I properly understanding the best idiom for creating, managing, and using pages of a site within Sakai? Thanks for the WebDAV pointer, I will try that. I am almost tempted to just have a front page in Sakai that points off to an external "regular" web-tool managed web-site, and then have Sakai as a portal to it. If I did that, could I have the web pages link back to Sakai tools (assignments, ...) via easy to embed URLs?

I don't think I understand what your problem is I'm afraid.

Have a look at our guidance site: https://weblearn.ox.ac.uk/info/ that was all developed in dreamweaver and auto-uploaded using webdav. It's all very simple to do.

adam

One thing seems clear, we need to upgrade to 2.8 and use the newer editor for at least some relief.

I get the impression that most people don't create HTML pages via the WYSIWYG editor. We do but we don't seem to have the same problems as you.

It is quite easy to change what buttons are visible in the Editor toolbar. There's an FCKEdit config file where you specify what you want and in which order you want the buttons appear in. We have enabled the "Full Screen" button - you can also probably say how big "full screen" is to be.

I agree it is annoying that you cant save in full screen mode, I guess I've got used to it.

The one thing you should definitely not do is paste straight from word (or Outlook email)! You should always use the special "Paste from word" button editor icon / facility.

2.8 allows one to use the CK Editor which I believe is a lot better than its predecessor FCKedit, however, I also believe there are some issues with CK Editor. We haven't tried using it yet.

What we do a bit is to develop web pages in Dreamwaever and then use its built-in WebDAV facilities to copy into resources.

adam