[Using Sakai] Sakai usage & features

Gregory Guthrie guthrie at mum.edu
Wed Jul 18 04:58:26 PDT 2012

Thanks.

One common scenario is that I want to create a sub-page (e.g. a monthly overview graphic) from a page. To do that it seems like what I have to do is go into a HTML page editor and create the page, save on another server, then upload to resources, and then link to it.

This not only means I have another tool required to create pages, and another external repository at least for staging pages, but also that the sub-pages are all visible to users.

Previously I was just creating web sites using MSoft Expression web, and it was much more convenient to create and manage a site, create and move and explore pages, and what was visible to users was easy and explicit since it was only via URL links. Also I don't want to clutter up the Resources directory with references to HTML pages that are just part of the navigation of the site, but just with downloadable documents and such. Is there a way to have subsidiary web pages in the Sakai site but not directly listed as an item in the Resources page? Can one add another Tool or directory just to keep the additional web pages but not have it user visible?

Am I properly understanding the best idiom for creating, managing, and using pages of a site within Sakai? Thanks for the WebDAV pointer, I will try that. I am almost tempted to just have a front page in Sakai that points off to an external "regular" web-tool managed web-site, and then have Sakai as a portal to it. If I did that, could I have the web pages link back to Sakai tools (assignments, ...) via easy to embed URLs?

One thing seems clear, we need to upgrade to 2.8 and use the newer editor for at least some relief.

Subject: RE: [Using Sakai] Sakai usage & features

I get the impression that most people don't create HTML pages via the WYSIWYG editor. We do but we don't seem to have the same problems as you.

It is quite easy to change what buttons are visible in the Editor toolbar. There's an FCKEdit config file where you specify what you want and in which order you want the buttons appear in. We have enabled the "Full Screen" button - you can also probably say how big "full screen" is to be.

I agree it is annoying that you cant save in full screen mode, I guess I've got used to it.

The one thing you should definitely not do is paste straight from word (or Outlook email)! You should always use the special "Paste from word" button editor icon / facility.

2.8 allows one to use the CK Editor which I believe is a lot better than its predecessor FCKedit, however, I also believe there are some issues with CK Editor. We haven't tried using it yet.

What we do a bit is to develop web pages in Dreamwaever and then use its built-in WebDAV facilities to copy into resources.

adam