[Using Sakai] [Building Sakai] Weird issue ordering by Lastname

Daniel Merino daniel.merino at unavarra.es
Thu Jan 26 04:59:27 PST 2012

Hi, Feliz, and thanks for your answer.

We don't have the KNL-696 patch applied. However, after taking a look on
it, I understand that this patch is applied to make a custom sort order
for the last names according to the locale preferences.

However, our issue is happening with last names without non-ASCII
characters and also working in english language.

For example, in a fresh english installation the same problem would
happen (or that's what I think!) for, i.e., the ficticious users "John
Del Potro" and "Peter Delaware". Peter would be listed before John.

We have the 2.7.1 version. Could somebody confirm if I am right or wrong?

I have created this JIRA about this:
https://jira.sakaiproject.org/browse/KNL-873

Best regards.

Feliz Gouveia escribió:
> Daniel, I'm not sure if this could be the case but check
> https://jira.sakaiproject.org/browse/KNL-696.
>
> For languages with special characters, the collation should be
> specified for the locale being used. Otherwise you'll have also
> problems ordering with accents and other non-ascii characters. I
> remember this was not in the code and we had to do it to sort names.
>
> regards, Feliz
>

> On 26 January 2012 09:44, Daniel Merino <daniel.merino at unavarra.es> wrote:
>
>> Hi everybody.
>>
>> One of our teachers has reported us a weird issue we hadn't noticed before.
>>
>> Given two students, whose lastnames are "Martinez Torcal" and "Martin
>> Troncoso", these lastnames are written in the LASTNAME field of the
>> SAKAI_USER table.
>>
>> Ordering in the database client, in excel or any other application, the
>> logical alphabetical order is first "Martin Troncoso" and after
>> "Martinez Torcal", just because the blank space is counted as a character.
>>
>> However, in our Sakai 2.7.1 with kernel 1.1.13 they are ordered at Site
>> Info, Assignments, etc. just the opposite: first "Martinez Torcal" and
>> after "Martin Troncoso". The same issue happens with LDAP users.
>>
>> I have searched at JIRA, but I haven't found any clue about this. Also,
>> I have looked at BaseUserDirectoryService in the Kernel code:
>>
>> http://source.sakaiproject.org/viewsvn/kernel/trunk/kernel-impl/src/main/java/org/sakaiproject/user/impl/BaseUserDirectoryService.java?view=markup
>>
>> but the getSortName() method doesn't seem to do nothing wrong.
>>
>> Please, could you tell me if this problem has been reported and solved
>> in the past?
>>
>> Thanks in advance.
>> Best regards.
>> --
>> Daniel Merino Echeverría
>> daniel.merino at unavarra.es
>> Gestor de teleformación - Centro Superior de Innovación Educativa.
>> Tfno: 948-168489 - Universidad Pública de Navarra.
>> --
>> Donde todos piensan igual nadie piensa mucho. (Walter Lippmann)

Daniel Merino Echeverría
daniel.merino at unavarra.es
Gestor de teleformación - Centro Superior de Innovación Educativa.
Tener la conciencia limpia es síntoma de mala memoria. (Les Luthiers)