[Using Sakai] Importing student data in csv format as users to sakai

Jaeques Koeman jaeques at edia.nl
Wed Feb 15 07:18:08 PST 2012

Hi Mahesh,

You may want to try the Sakai contrib tool 'Invite users' developed by Edia
(https://source.sakaiproject.org/contrib//edia/invite/):

Two versions of the tool exist: Invite Participants and Invite Users. One
is for teachers to invite participants to their site and one for
administrators to join multiple users into multiple sites.

Invite users:

The Invite Users version of the tool is expected to be added to the
Administration Workspace and used by an administrator. Instead of adding
users to the Administration Workspace itself, this version of the tool can
join users into multiple sites. Users receive a separate e-mail for each
new membership
Invite participants:

The Invite Participants version of the tool is expected to be added to a
normal course or project site and would normally be used by a teacher. This
version of the tool invites users to the site that the tool runs on. The
teacher can edit the e-mails sent to the new users, but some other settings
are only editable by an administrator. One such setting is what account
type a new user gets. Administrators may also set one site that all users
are to become a member of automatically, like a site that all students in a
department must join.
key features

   - Invite any number of users in a single batch using a comma separated
   value (csv) format.
   - The batch format can include the users first and last name and is
   editable by the tool user. The users created are identified by their e-mail
   address.
   - The e-mails sent by the tool are editable by the tool user. Users
   receive a single e-mail for their new account and membership of a site.
   - Existing users are detected automatically and receive a different
   e-mail: one that only informs them of their new membership.
   - Account role of new users is configurable.

Best, Jaeques

2012/2/14 Mahesh Chowta <mahesh at nitte.edu.in>

> Hai,
>
> We have downloaded and installed Sakai ( Sakai 2.8.1 (Kernel 1.2.6)
> and created a test site before going live.
>
> Now I got struck at creating students as users for test site.
>
> I am trying to know how to import our I year MBBS students (150
> numbers)  at once to sakai database. (Like csv data to mysql)
>
> Please help us.
>
> Thank you,
>
> With regards,
>

> Mahesh Chowta
> Systems Administrator
> Nitte University, Mangalore

*Jaeques Koeman*

jaeques.koeman at edia.nl

*Edia* - Educatie Technologie

Korte Prinsengracht 42hs | 1013 GT Amsterdam

*T* 020 716 36 12 | *F* 020 716 36 13 | *M* 06 47 106 796 | www.edia.nl