[Using Sakai] Assignment Tool: Resubmissions

Zhen Qian zqian at umich.edu
Fri Sep 23 13:47:28 PDT 2011

Hi, Earl:

I hope I can explain the design well here:

Case A. the default behavior - without resubmission settings:

1. Instructor creates an assignment with open date, due date and Accept util date.
2. Student sees the assignment after its open date.
3. Student can make submission before due date, or after due date but before Accept Util date (the submission will be marked as late).
4. Once the submission is made, student can no longer resubmit.

Case B: an assignment with resubmission option set

1-3 same as above Case A.
4. Student can resubmit based on the resubmission rules.

Case C: an assignment submission with resubmission options set (in the grading view)
 1-4 same as above Case B.
The difference here is that instructor can set different resubmission rules for different student. The submission-level resubmit rules will override those at the assignment level, if any.

For your question "why would an instructor set the "Resubmissions Accept Until" at a time any different than the Due/Accept dates":

It might seem to be redundant to have both settings in Case B. However, it becomes necessary in Case C, where individual student resubmit timeframe might be different from others.

Thanks,

- Zhen