[Using Sakai] Assignment Tool: Resubmissions

Earl Power Murphy epowermurphy at gmail.com
Fri Sep 23 13:32:42 PDT 2011

Hello,

My name is Earl Power Murphy, I work within the ITAC department of Bradley
University doing our Sakai support. We recently had an issue regarding the
"Allow Resubmissions" function from the New Assignment page. While testing
we discovered the ability of the "unlimited" selection, of the "Number of
resubmissions allowed" option, to override the Due Date and Accept Until
dates, rendering the assignment permanently open. While this is an
interesting characteristic we could not figure out the purpose of the
"Resubmission
Accept Until" option from the New Assignment page.
We believe that the Allow Resubmission option offered during the creation of
a new assignment is slightly different from that offered on the assignment
grading page. On one hand, it seems that the option during assignment
creation is for the student+assignment+Sakai relationship functioning within
the Open - Due/Accept time frame, i.e. if a student turns in a paper then
later rereads it and finds an error the student can turn it in *n *times
without an instructor's direct permission, as long as the "Allow
Resubmissions" options is selected and the student is acting withing the
Open - Due/Accept time frame. On the other hand, the resubmissions option
offered from the assignment grading page allows for a resubmission and an
extension upon the Open - Due/Accept time frame by resetting the Accept
Until date. If this is true, why would an instructor set the "Resubmissions
Accept Until" at a time any different than the Due/Accept dates? Why would
the option even be offered?

Thank you for your time and have a pleasant weekend.

Sincerely,

Earl

--

Earl Power Murphy

*Instructional Technologies Assistance Center (ITAC)*
Graduate Assistant
o: 309.677.2344