[Using Sakai] Advice for Create Own Course Sites

Christian Aziz caziz at rutgers.edu
Mon Sep 12 14:19:33 PDT 2011

We've always let our faculty (and staff and students) create their own
Sakai sites. We provide training sessions and documentation
(https://sakai.rutgers.edu/portal/help/main), but still get a lot of
questions at the start of the semester. Most of the questions revolve
around linking course rosters to sites (most departments let faculty do
it, a few don't) and adding people to sites.

We've also created some templates to make site creation a bit easier.
This is our first semester with them, so we don't know how much they're
being used.

The templates we've created are:

- Basic Course Template
This template contains all of the essential tools to supplement a
physical course. It has tools for holding discussions, assigning
homework, distributing syllabi and course materials, and grading.

Tools: Syllabus, Announcements, Resources, Assignments, Chat Room,
Discussion & Private Messages, Gradebook 2
----

Online Course Template
This template contains all of the essential tools for holding an online
course. It has tools for holding discussions, administering quizzes and
assignments, building structured lessons, distributing course materials,
and grading.

Tools: Syllabus, Announcements, Resources, Chat Room, Discussion &
Private Messages, Assignments, Tests & Quizzes, Lesson Builder,
Gradebook 2, Wiki
----

Committee Template
This template contains all of the essential tools for a committee
project site. It has tools for mass-mailing, distributing documents and
resources, and collaborating on a wiki.

Tools: Announcements, Resources, Wiki, Email Archive, Mailtool
---

Basic Project Template
This template contains all of the essential tools for managing a simple
project. It has tools for holding discussions, exchanging resources, and
collaborating on a wiki.

Tools: Announcements, Resources, Chat Room, Wiki, Discussion & Private
Messages
----

Research Project Template
This template contains all of the essential tools for managing a simple
research project. It has tools for holding discussions, exchanging
resources, and collaborating on a wiki.

Tools: Announcements, Resources, Chat Room, Wiki, Discussion & Private
Messages, Library Intro, Library Research

If we can help in any other way, please don't hesitate to contact us.

Gayle K. Stein, Ph.D.
Associate Director for Instructional Technology

Christian V. Aziz
Sr. Instructional Designer - OIRT
Adjunct Faculty Member - SC&I

101K Administrative Services Building Annex 1
56 Bevier Road, Piscataway, NJ 08854
Tel: 732-445-8732 | Fax: 732-445-5539