[Using Sakai] Gradebook - Cumulative grades with weighting when user doesn't have grade

Sam Ottenhoff ottenhoff at longsight.com
Fri Sep 9 08:17:49 PDT 2011

> We have some gradebook items classified by categories and using weighting.
> There’s one with a 60% and the other items add until the 100%. There’s a
> user with grades in every item but the 60% one, and his cumulative grading
> is 95%. Shouldn’t the blank grade be considered as a 0, so the cumulative
> would be under 50%?

Hi Bernardo,

The gradebook does not count blanks as a 0.  The grade must be turned into a
true 0 to count as a 0.

If an instructor has 10 items at the beginning of the semester, and the
course is only in week two, the computed grade will only use the available
grades and will ignore the blank grades.  This allows students to see a
"running" grade as the semester progresses.

> ****
>
> ** **
>
> There’s a difference in the Spanish and English translation of the Grade
> Display option, which is marked. In Spanish, after “Display course grade to
> students now”, it notes blank grades will be considered as 0. I think it
> works ok as long as you’re not using weighting. Is this possible?****
>
> **

The reference to "blank grades will be considered as 0" seems incorrect to
me.

--Sam