[Using Sakai] Charset encoding

Matthew Jones jonespm at umich.edu
Wed Nov 23 11:48:38 PST 2011

You still should be able to convert all of the tables to utf8 even if you
missed setting this up initially, either on a live system or during a short
backup/restore downtime.

This post by Nuno a few years ago suggested that he did this:
http://collab.sakaiproject.org/pipermail/sakai-dev/2009-September/003701.html

Which was based off this thread which had both self generating SQL alter
scripts as well as perl script to do it.
http://www.haidongji.com/2008/11/11/convert-character-set-to-utf8-in-mysql/

You'd probably would want to do this on a backup to make sure it works, but
I've done this type of thing on Oracle and Mysql without any issues on
development /test databases before when I forget to set UTF-8.

You also have to remember to set the correct parameters on the tomcat and
mysql connector:
https://confluence.sakaiproject.org/display/I18N/Common+UTF-8+Problems

As far as the documentation, I do see this info on the release page in on
the database support for both 2.7 and 2.8? Perhaps there was some guide or
link that this was missing from? :(

https://confluence.sakaiproject.org/display/DOC/Sakai+CLE+2.7+database+support