[Using Sakai] Sakai - Import from Archive File -- what are the acceptable file types?

Regan, Alan Alan.Regan at pepperdine.edu
Thu Jun 30 19:04:54 PDT 2011

Dear "Using Sakai" and "Sakai Dev" Lists --

Does anyone have information on what specific files are valid for importing with the "Import from Archive File" feature in Sakai 2.8?

Here is some of the research so far (kudos to Jim M. at rSmart):
https://confluence.sakaiproject.org/display/PROD/A+Tour+of+Sakai+Import

Based on the above, it sounds like out-of-the-box (OOTB) the feature will support "Common Cartridge" and "original Sakai format parsers."  Does this mean IMS Common Cartridge format?  Can someone explain "original Sakai format parsers"?  Are extensions always .zip or could they be other formats?  Are there other links that may help our users understand more about these files and the likelihood they'll have them?  (Are a majority of textbook publishers supporting the IMS Common Cartridge format nowadays?)

Looks like there are some optional parsers for select Blackboard, Moodle, or WebCT formats, too.

My goal is to compile details on formats and requirements so that the documentation team can revise the existing "Site Info" help pages.  Any details that can be offered would be really, really appreciated!

Thanks!

Sincerely,

Alan Regan, MFA
Manager, Technology and Learning