[Using Sakai] Conference parking ideas

Matthew Jones jonespm at umich.edu
Tue Jun 7 13:23:09 PDT 2011

So I am going early and was going to rent a car, however I heard a rumor
that parking at the hotel was ~$40 a night! Seeing that I'll be there for 5
nights, and might not even use the car for most of the nights, it seems like
it might be a good idea to find a cheaper place to park it, or just opt to
return the car early. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

* I've read that parking at Union Station is a good option for general
travel downtown, and it's a pretty cool place to visit. (http://goo.gl/0FXUM)
I can't exactly tell what the daily rate is [1], but searching around makes
it look like it's around $10 max a day, so much better than the hotel. It's
a 15 minute subway trip + a short walk off the red or silver lines.

* A slightly closer option is the garage at Pershing Square (
http://goo.gl/Bx3Jy) which is supposed looks to be about a half mile walk
and quick searches looks to be about $14 max a day.

There were no specials for in-out for either of these garages like the hotel
so it could potentially be more if I ended up driving anywhere, but it was
less parked for shorter terms. Open for any other ideas.

Also if anyone is going early this week and wants to do some sightseeing on
Thursday or maybe Saturday, let me know, I'm not 100% sure what I'm doing
yet. Hotel I'm staying at this week is outside downtown with free parking,
yay!

[1]
http://www.yelp.com/biz/union-station-los-angeles#query:Union%20Station%20Parking