[Using Sakai] [Building Sakai] Sakai Portal 2.9 RoadMap and Sakai Course at University of Michigan

csev csev at umich.edu
Mon Jan 24 14:56:24 PST 2011

Matthew,

I generally agree with Michael's points - I moved his response below so I can comment in line.

> On Jan 24, 2011, at 12:05 PM, Mathieu Plourde wrote:
>
>> Hi Chuck,
>>
>> I have some questions for you and the other folks on-list:
>>
>> 1) How many more years do institutions expect to run Sakai CLE (2.x)?

This is a good question and probably needs a poll.  My own internal mental model is that some schools (for some value of "some") will be running the CLE for another decade - so it is worth some investment at this time to move it forward so those schools are less vulnerable to feeling like they are forever falling behind.  My roadmap details the areas I think are the most pressing needs for improvement in the CLE.

>> At Delaware, we are not eager to move to OAE (3.x) just yet. In fact, we're probably going to be running Sakai CLE for at least another 3 to 4 years in one shape or another (hybrid).
>>
>> 2) How are we gathering and addressing requirements coming from the community?

For Sakai CLE, the Technical Coordination Committee is the place where the resources and leadership for the CLE come together and make commitments to each other regarding the direction for the CLE.  We use the TCC to help set priorities and make decisions when simple consensus is not sufficient.

You should expect to see presentations from the TCC at the next Sakai conference and there will be TCC meetings at the next conference and we may even have TCC face-to-face meetings off-cycle.  The TCC mailing list is public and you are welcome to subscribe and participate.

The TCC is the governing body of the CLE for now - it is a round-table of the CLE contributors and serves primarily as communication rather than command and control.

>> 2.1) I tend to create Jira tickets to request new features or suggest improvements, but is the community even looking at those? (I'm not talking bug-reporting here, but process changes and new tools or features)

This is the right thing to do - there is no where else.  But resourcing is all volunteer so be patient.

>> 2.2) Are there better ways to suggest improvements to the Sakai CLE?

Yes - bring or pay for resources - those resources can come and help insure that your local priorities get some attention.

>> 2.3) Is it even worth suggesting improvements to Sakai CLE, or is the developer community so tied-up in OAE developing and back-porting that no extra work will be included anyway?

Yes - as Michael says this is not a zero-sum game and it is absolutely not a win-lose situation.  The OAE has resources that would not automatically be available to the CLE if they were not on the OAE and vice-versa.   Having both the OAE and CLE efforts insures that organizations can invest based on their local needs, vision, priorities and interests.  Having the CLE and OAE generates more resources overall for our community and that is a wonderful thing.

>> I'm asking these questions because we are about to create a Sakai Faculty Advisory Committee that would look at Sakai and identify pain points and potential improvements, but if we're not using the right channels or if no one is listening, then we're just going to be wasting our time.

As a guy who said above that I personally think the CLE has at least 10 years of life left in it, I would say 'Yes - definitely' - but be patient.

And again, I will restate that I agree with Michael's points below.

/Chuck