[Using Sakai] Using Sakai - Scheduling the January Call for Sakai Documentation Redesign project

John Bush john.bush at rsmart.com
Tue Jan 4 09:38:00 PST 2011

It might be a little late in the cycle to consider this for 2.8, but
maybe for the future.  One of the things we do to separate the
schedule of our release with the help content is to unhinge the help
from the source and refer to the help externally.  I think this was a
feature IU originally developed.  You can set a help location like
this:

help.location=http://myhelp.server.com/rsmart-help-content

This allows us to push out help to all our clients without needing to
rebuild/deploy each sakai instance.  It just needs a simple manifest
xml file and the raw html content.  We use a word2doc converter to
create all the html from a doc and then have a scripts that generates
the manifest file.  There is a little manual editing to adjust the
categorization and link the tool ids, but its pretty easy.

There might be some benefit in the foundation following a similar
model.  There's no reason why the help can't be dynamic as well.  You
could create a community based knowledge base into the help and share
it across all instances for example, even have it version aware like
this:

help.location=http://myhelp-sakai.server.com/help-content?version=280
help.location=http://myhelp.sakai.com/help-content?version=281

Something to consider...

On Tue, Jan 4, 2011 at 10:10 AM, Seth Theriault <slt at columbia.edu> wrote:
> Regan, Alan wrote:
>
>> Per Sean Keesler's notes, here is a proposed agenda:
>>
>> * Identify project lead to help with Sakai 2.8 coordination
>>
>> * Identify sections of the out of the box (OOTB) docs to target
>>   for redesign in 2.8
>
> For these two items, time is of the essence. As I mentioned on
> the call in December, any new or improved OOTB Help content for
> 2.8 probably needs to be done and committed by mid-to-late
> January to make the release.
>
> The release of Sakai 2.8 is scheduled for 1 March 2010:
>
> https://confluence.sakaiproject.org/display/REL/Sakai+2.8+Release+Schedule
>
> If you wait until the week of 17 January to act on these items,
> it will probably be too late for anything to get into 2.8.
>
> Seth

John Bush
602-490-0470