[Using Sakai] Character limits and HTML coding

Josh Baron Josh.Baron at marist.edu
Mon Sep 27 06:27:50 PDT 2010

Chris,

We too had some challenges with the 4000 character limit. The approach
we've taken is to try and in crease this limit to allow for more text (and
HTML codes).  We've been able to get a patch so that we could increase the
limit on test question answers (e.g. short answer essay questions) but I
don't think there is yet a solution for increasing the limit on the
feedback boxes where you're entering you text.  There are two community
JIRAs that technical folks on your end could look at to better understand
the issue.  These are:

http://jira.sakaiproject.org/browse/SAM-756
http://jira.sakaiproject.org/browse/SAM-757

There might be some alternatives to consider.  For example, you can attach
a file to questions so you could create the materials sin MS or or PDF and
attach it to the question.  This would allow for some useful formatting
but get you around the limit.  You could also set up a HMTL page, either
in Sakai/Resources or on another server and point to it from the Feedback
box.

Hope this helps.

Josh

Joshua Baron