[Using Sakai] Expando / Contracto Feature Change - SAK-19193

csev csev at umich.edu
Wed Sep 22 13:54:58 PDT 2010

Hello,

After getting some sleep and then calmly thinking about the expando UI a bit and reflecting on all the great feedback and suggestions from Steve, Brian, Mary, Gonzalo, Eli, Adam, Oszkar and others, I decided to make two changes:

(a) Change the default to only minimize left nav (Steve's suggestion) - this also fixes the vanishing logout issue pointed out by many other folks - at least in the default case.  It still supports all combinations of top and left nav contracting (including "none thank you") but the left only is the default.

(b) Change the icon to variations on the control_rewind_blue from silk (Adam's suggestion) - brilliant because it is a circle and thus seems a little different compared to the other tool icons which are more squareish.

The JIRA for these changes is:

http://jira.sakaiproject.org/browse/SAK-19193

The original JIRA with all of the brainstorming is:

http://jira.sakaiproject.org/browse/SAK-18687

If you want to try it - the changes are in trunk and you can go to nightly and login as admin/admin and play with the tasty gooey goodness :)

http://nightly2.sakaiproject.org:8083/

If you can't afford 60 seconds, I attach a screen shot for your viewing pleasure.

Thanks all and keep those comments coming.  Put any comments in the new SAK-19193 as SAK-18687 is closed.

/Chuck