[Using Sakai] End-User Documentation

Marshall Feldman marsh at uri.edu
Sun Oct 3 20:38:02 PDT 2010

Sean, et al.,

I think my post started this discussion, which I'm very glad to see.

But the drift to discussing wikis, etc. misses one of my most important
points. THERE IS NO SUBSTITUTE FOR DEVELOPER-PROVIDED DOCUMENTATION.
Anything else is, by definition, guesswork. Documentation should not be
optional. Instead, software without developer-provided documentation is
not ready for prime time. Period!

Maybe some of this drift is due to the fact that so much of Sakai is
focused on novice users. Since there's an art to writing tutorials,
tutorials may not be something to expect from developers. What I was
asking about was technical documentation for end users. I just don't see
how people who did not write the software can contribute to documenting
how it's supposed to work. Even if someone were to read the code and
could "prove" the software works a certain way, this would still not
necessarily be the way the software is supposed to work.

     Marsh Feldman