[Using Sakai] Tests & Quizzes Issues

Horst Hohberger horst at sjtu.edu.cn
Tue Mar 2 05:34:38 PST 2010

I am currently trying to implement online assessments using SAKAI
2.5.4. It seems that there are some issues (small and large) that I'm
having and I'd appreciate your help in finding out what I'm doing
wrong or determining if they are resolved/unresolved bugs. To start
with, here are a few:

1) My TA (he and I both have Instructor privileges) created the
assessments. The first assessment does not contain any random draw
from a question pool, and I am able to view and edit the questions
from my account. However, the second does have random draws, so to
see the questions I use "Preview assessment". While the first Part
with no random draw, works fine, if I click "Save and continue" in
the preview mode, I get the error message

"The assessment you have requested is no longer available. Please
contact your instructor if you have any questions. Click "Continue"
to go to the system login page."

in a red box. I can access the questions one-by-one using the Table
of Contents, but the "Save and Continue" button does not work if the
next question has random draws. This error does not occur from my
TA's account (which is the one that created the assessment in the
first place). Is this a new bug, a known issue or is there a
configuration error on my part?

2) There is an attachment in the tests' "Assessment Introduction".
When exporting the assessments as QTI compliant XML and re-importing
into another SAKAI site, this attachment is dropped.

3) I've exported an assessment which includes a question with an
image attachment as well as several random draws from question pools.
When re-importing into another site, I get the error message

"There was an error importing this assessment. Ensure that the file
is correctly formatted IMS QTI. Error
details:org.sakaiproject.tool.assessment.services.qti.QTIServiceExceptio
n: java.lang.NullPointerException"

This is really bad, because it looks like I can't re-use assessments
in other sakai sites. Can anyone help me with this?

Horst

Dr. Horst Hohberger

Lecturer for Mathematics
University of Michigan - Shanghai Jiaotong University Joint Institute
上海交通大学密西根学院

Phone: +86 134 828 97 417
Web: http://umji.sjtu.edu.cn/personal/horst/
PGP Public Key: http://umji.sjtu.edu.cn/personal/horst/
horst_hohberger.gpgkey

Shanghai Jiaotong University (Minhang Campus)
Room 218, Law School Building
800 Dongchuan Road
200240 Shanghai
P. R. China