[Using Sakai] sakai installation problem

Steve Swinsburg steve.swinsburg at gmail.com
Thu Jul 8 02:39:17 PDT 2010

In your latest log (http://pastebin.com/7t9q9AJv) everything looks much better since I can see the components being loaded, however this error:

java.net.BindException: Address already in use:9090

...tells you that you already have something running on port 9090, probably a failed previous startup.

You also have this:
java.sql.SQLException: The database is already in use by another process: org.hsqldb.persist.NIOLockFile at ad56f6a9[file =/root/lmses/test/apache-tomcat-5.5.29/sakai/db/sakai.db.lck, exists=true, locked=false, valid=false, fl =null]: java.lang.Exception: checkHeartbeat(): lock file [/root/lmses/test/apache-tomcat-5.5.29/sakai/db/sakai.db.lck] is presumably locked by another process.

...which is related to the same, HSQL (the default database) wasn't shutdown previously.

Kill off the process, or if safe to do so 'killall java', then restart Tomcat. For your other questions, readup on JAVA_OPTS so you can learn about what you are setting. Installing a Sakai instance does assume some knowledge of Java and Tomcat.

cheers,
Steve