[Using Sakai] Securing Exams for students

Gregory Doyle Gregory.Doyle at uct.ac.za
Sat Dec 25 10:16:25 PST 2010

Hi Angie
We've been waiting for Respondus to include Sakai as an option in the
lock down browser mode for some time.
We have been investigating alternatives. Out campus uses Novel and
Zenworks - our IT department has managed to build an image for us so
that when the students login all they get is Internet Explorer in kiosk
mode linked to an html page which has links to the test(s) students have
to take. They cannot print, copy, open other windows etc
It is clumsy - we have to schedule the exam mode image to be loaded,
update the html page with links to the necessary tests - but hey it
works :)

regards
greg

P.S. It might have been easier in Firefox kiosk mode, but we started
experimenting with IE

>>> "Newsome, Angie" <angie.newsome at ttuhsc.edu> 12/20/2010 10:54 PM

Luke,
Yes, that is the JIRA issue to which I am referring.  I see now that
there has not been much done on this issue and it looks as though it
never really got initiated.  I have not really looked into Samigo yet;
however, if we go with Sakai, we will be looking at those types of
options.  I'm not sure that we will have the time to devote to creating
a home grown solution for testing.  So, that may not be an option for
us.  We may decide to contract with LongSight to attach Respondus.  We
have also entertained the idea of implementing something like
QuestionMark for secure testing and analytics.  We are simply exploring
options at this point and are interested in what works for your
institutions.

Is there anyone out there that has used a plug-in/third party/module
with Sakai to address concern of student cheating and test theft?

Thank you again for your time.

Angie