[Using Sakai] Securing Exams for students

Luke FERNANDEZ LFERNANDEZ at weber.edu
Mon Dec 20 10:06:00 PST 2010

I'm guessing you are referring to the following JIRA issue:

http://jira.sakaiproject.org/browse/SAK-2042
I'm not sure what has been done on this issue in the last little while
(someone else on
this list surely knows more) but here's some background context that
may help:

If you can run Samigo (Sakai's testing tool) independently outside the
Sakai LMS (I'm not sure this is possible ) there should be other kiosk
utilities you can use to lock down your browser.  Here at Weber we do a
lot of
secure testing using our own home grown testing tool and each of the
many testing centers we have on campus, depending on what browser they
choose to support, have found a kiosk technology that allows the
browser to be locked down so that student's are confined to the test
and can't access the Web (let alone other parts of the LMS).  You may
be able to do the same with
Samigo....

Luke

---------------------------------------

Luke Fernandez, Ph.D.
Manager of Program and Technology Development
Weber State University

>>> "Newsome, Angie" <angie.newsome at ttuhsc.edu> 12/20/2010 10:35 AM

Hello,
We, here at Texas Tech University HSC, are currently engaged in an LMS
review process and are nearing the end.  The system that we need to
replace is WebCT.  Sakai looks like it will be the popular vote for the
replacement.  However, we have some questions with regard to secured
testing.  We are using Respondus Lockdown Browser with WebCT to secure
the testing environment in a proctored situation.  Basically, Respondus
LDB is a third-party browser that does not allow the user to open
external sites, print screen, copy or paste when taking an exam.
Typically, we will have over 200 users taking nationally certified exam
with 5 proctors walking around the room.  We will need some way to
secure exams and the review of exams on the LMS that we choose.

We have been told that Sakai does not yet have this ability.  I’ve also
noticed that there is a JIRA request for Sakai to be able to go into
‘Kiosk’ mode where students would only be able to access the test.

What are other institutions doing to address this concern?  Do you have
insight on processes, applications or policies?  Any advice is
appreciated.

Thank you in advance for your time,

Angie

Angie Newsome, PMP, MSM