[Using Sakai] Any workarounds for special needs / individual assessments / settings?

sheflin sheflin at rci.rutgers.edu
Mon Aug 23 17:12:04 PDT 2010

Hi - I did this successfully last Spring at Rutgers for 700 students (3
sections) of Intro Economics. I created a group for such students, and
for each weekly assignment, copied the multiple choice assessment and
gave it a new name, with the settings set to give extra time and
released to members of the group. No problem all semester. I did have to
copy the grades in gradebook (2) to the field for the original
assignment (i.e. from hw2extratime to hw2).

Luke Fernandez wrote:
> We coded a feature that caters to those JIRA needs in our homegrown
> system about two years ago and its very popular.  One piece of
> functionality that is left out of the JIRA issue is the ability to
> specify that a particular student be allowed to take the test at an
> alternative testing center (in the below case it would be our
> disabilities center).
>
> Prior to this feature being in place faculty would have to create a
> copy of the test for the individual students who had special needs.
> That approach is cumbersome for a whole slew of reasons.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Luke
>
> On Mon, Aug 23, 2010 at 8:39 AM, Dave Ross <dave.ross at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> We (still) want to move towards Tests & Quizzes as our primary
>> assessment delivery mechanism - however our need to support special
>> needs on an individual level has hampered our ability to use it for
>> anything beyond a non-credit quiz or survey.
>>
>> There is a long standing JIRA on this (
>> http://jira.sakaiproject.org/browse/SAK-13107 )  - but at this point
>> I'm trying to understand how other schools work around this
>> shortcoming...
>>
>> What do you do when a student (or group of students) need different
>> assessment settings than everyone else? How does this flow into
>> grading, etc?
>>
>> Help is truly appreciated...
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> -Dave

Neil Sheflin     (732) 993-7869  fax (732)932 7416
Department of Economics   web: econweb.rutgers.edu/sheflin
428 New Jersey Hall
New Brunswick, NJ 08901-1248
sheflin at rci.rutgers.edu