[Using Sakai] Sakai Slow Down

Barb Kerns brk at bumail.bradley.edu
Thu Sep 10 14:42:31 PDT 2009

We have two SUN T5220s. One runs the Apache front-end and the MySQL
database, each in a seperate zone. The other physical system runs Tomcat in
a zone.
The two servers are identical hardware:
* Sun Fire T5220 servers
* 1.2 GHz, 8 core
* 32 Gb memory
* Two 146 Gb disk drives (mirrored), plus disk space on the SAN

On the production Sakai Tomcat server JAVA_OPTS are set to:
JAVA_OPTS="-server -XX:+UseParallelGC -Xms2500m -Xmx2500m -XX:NewSize=512m
-XX:MaxNewSize=512m -XX:PermSize=512m -XX:MaxPermSize=512m
-Djava.awt.headless=true -Dsakai.demo=false"

A quick look at top while the slowdown happens doesn't seem to indicate the
problem is a hardware bottleneck.

(Would one of you grant a favor and pass this on to the Production and
Sakai-dev lists? I have registered to both the production and sakai-dev
lists, but am still being denied the permissions to post to those lists.)

Barb