[Using Sakai] SoftChalk and Sakai integration - beta available

Ed Garay garay at uic.edu
Fri Oct 30 08:32:44 PDT 2009

Greetings from Chicago.

Allow me to jump in to say that we license SoftChalk LessonBuilder for the
entire faculty and teaching staff at our school (University of Illinois at
Chicago) and a large portion of our 4,400 UIC instructors simply love it.

SoftChalk is essentially an easy-to-use yet powerful authoring tool
(Windows and Mac) for instructors to create simple, intermediate and even
advanced (and interactive) class materials for Web delivery.  Each
SoftChalk lesson can have simple hypermedia or one embedding Flash Video,
MP3 Podcasts and/or simple to complex interactive student activities or
embedded quizzing.

For each lesson, SoftChalk produces a folder, which can be easily zip up
and uploaded to Blackboard (UIC's LMS at this time), or Sakai,
Desire2Learn, Moodle or uploaded to anywhere.  Why, you can put burn it to
CDs, if you wish.  At UIC, we recommend that faculty drag-and-drop their
SoftChalk-generated lessons to their class WebDisks (WebDAV mount points)
which we have seamlessly integrated with the rest of the Blackboard LMS.

Now, when/if the instructors want to capture/record the student activities
embedded inside a SoftChalk lesson, only then it is really necessary to
have SoftChalk package the lesson as a SCORM package that must be uploaded
to Blackboard for proper integration with the Blackboard Grade Center.  The
same would be true to feed the SoftChalk student interactions to the Sakai
Gradebook.

With SoftChalk Release 5, SoftChalk has made available an additional
LMS-specific integration simplifying the two-step process of packaging the
lesson to Zip or SCORM and then uploading it to the LMS, into a single
operation where the instructors or course builders publish their lessons
directly from SoftChalk to Blackboard, Sakai, Moodle, etc. -- a nice (free)
feature appreciated mostly by mere mortals (i.e. nontech-savvy faculty).

At UIC and many other universities, SoftChalk is very well liked, just like
Wimba Classroom and Wimba Voice Tools, Pronto, and a plethora of other
peripheral Teaching & Learning Technology.

I hope you find this information useful.

Regards,

--- Ed Garay, UIC

At Wednesday 10/28/2009 12:38 PM, Mark Norton wrote:
>Support is also provided for SCORM using the UC David 2004ed3 player.
>
>- Mark Norton
>
>Ricci, Margaret P wrote:
> > Yes, SoftChalk has basically put Sakai on its list of LMSs that it will
> talk to.  The problem with SoftChalk is that it produces a whole web page
> with all sorts of files.  Uploading all of those to Sakai is a herculean
> task if you do them individually, and there are still plenty of people
> who look at me as if I have 3 heads when I say WebDAV.  The SoftChalk
> interface basically lets you upload the whole thing with about 3 clicks
> total.  I've been testing it since Boston - it's almost there.
> >
> > Maggie
> >

> > Margaret P. Ricci
> > Instructional Technology Consultant
> > Teaching and Learning Technologies Centers
> > Indiana University
> > 812-855-8355
> > mricci at indiana.edu

-- Ed Garay  ITL Blog: www.accc.uic.edu/itl/blog
    Assistant Director for Academic Computing

    UIC Academic Computing and Communications Center
    ACCC Instructional Technology Lab (ITL)
    www.accc.uic.edu/itl

    *** Blackboard Learn 9 Next-Generation - arrives at UIC
        ITL Blackboard 9 Support Website: www.accc.uic.edu/itl/bb9.html
        Blackboard 9 Instructor Training: www.accc.uic.edu/itl/bb9training.html

    ITL-East LIB 1-310 Walk-in Hours: 1-5pm Mon through Thu, East campus
    ITL-West BGRC 181  Walk-in Hours: 1-5pm Mon and Thu, West campus
    --- for other days/times by appointment contact the ITL:
    ITL email: itl at uic.edu   Phone: 312-996-9824
    ...follow the ITL on Twitter :: www.twitter.com/itl