[Using Sakai] migrate from angel to sakai?

Robin Hill hill at uwyo.edu
Mon Nov 9 07:15:00 PST 2009

Yes, I was just about to say the same thing.  Thanks, Nate.

Our page, although it addresses WebCT, gives some of the dirty details
of the conversion from one format to another, which may call for some
editing of the questions types even when both platforms are
QTI-compliant.  Our issue was mostly WebCT calculated questions, and our
staff member Rory Jarrard wrote a script to handle much (but not all) of
the migration process.

For the instructor who uses the questions types amenable to Quick
Create, we recommend downloading from the commercial platform with
Respondus, and maintaining the question database in plain text, suitable
for developing and editing, as well as easy uploading into Sakai exams
through T&Q/Samigo Quick Create-- which obviates the whole import format
problem.

http://confluence.sakaiproject.org/display/CNF/Early+Experiences+with+WebCT-to-Sakai+Exam+Question+Migration+%28CalcQuest%29

>  Robin Hill at UWY may be able to shed more light on their experience.
>

>  On Nov 7, 2009, at 7:59 AM, Mark Norton wrote:
>
> > Be warned that IMS-CC doesn't fully support QTI question
> > definitions. Instead, a limited subset is supported.  This may
> > cause problems in migration if more advanced question types were
> > used.
> >
> > - Mark Norton
> >
> > Sam Ottenhoff wrote:
> >> Hi Steve,
> >>
> >> I have seen two different export formats from Angel:
> >>
> >> 1) IMS-CC format (imsmanifest.xml in root directory)
> >>
> >> This format appears to export all relevant items from a course
> >> site as "webcontent".  This means that all relevant information
> >> from various tools (Announcements, Assignments, etc) gets
> >> imported to Sakai's Resources tool.
> >>
> >> Sakai can import this package with a few modifications to the
> >> existing blackboard_6 (extending the common cartridge code)
> >> parser code.  I would be glad to send over these modifications if
> >> this kind of import is helpful.
> >>
> >> I have seen IMS-QTI files included in this package, but the
> >> imsmanifest.xml does not indicate that these files are intended
> >> for Tests & Quizzes (they are marked as "webcontent" also).
> >>
> >> You can find the IMS-QTI files on a *nix machine like this:
> >>
> >> find ./ -name \*.xml|xargs grep questestinterop
> >>
> >> Once found, you should be able to import these IMS-QTI files
> >> directly into Tests & Quizzes.
> >>
> >> 2) Angel XML format (angelData.xml in root directory)
> >>
> >> This XPath expression on angelData.xml should provide you links
> >> to the relevant Angel assessment XML files:
> >>
> >> /clldata/Assessments/Assessment/@href
> >>
> >> Note that this format appears to be serialized data from the
> >> database. However, in these XML files, you can do a search for :
> >>
> >> <field name="_qtiXml">
> >>
> >> The contents of those fields should provide a fairly
> >> straightforward pathway to bringing the content into a new system
> >> like Sakai.
> >>
> >> --Sam

  Robin Hill, Ph.D.       hill at uwyo.edu       307-766-5499
  Instructional Computing Services            http://www.uwyo.edu/ctl
  Ellbogen Center for Teaching and Learning   University of Wyoming