[Using Sakai] POLL: performance storing resource bodies in SQL database vs network-filesystem

Kyong Kim kimkyong at fhda.edu
Tue May 12 06:34:08 PDT 2009

This problem might be MySQL specific as well.
At one of the MySQL tutorials I attended,  the issue of BLOB performance
came up. The only way BLOB column can be made usable in production is if
the column can be extracted to a separate table from the rest of the table
according to a MySQL engineer. This experience was shared by a lot of
DBA's dealing with performance issues with BLOB columns of various sizes.

>From my experience, we encountered a serious performance problem early on.
Ideally, you want to maintain data integrity but when it comes to
performance and scaling, best practices sometimes go out the window.

Kyong