[DG: User / Using Sakai] Anyone using Portfolio for document approval process workflow?

Noah Botimer botimer at umich.edu
Thu Mar 19 13:15:01 PDT 2009

Hi Barb,

There is some support for document flow in the OSP tools, but it is
likely not enough for your needs. The notion of passing between
different levels of approval is not well supported now (though we
have kept it in our minds for some time). There is also limited
notification of state transitions in 2.5, which I would assume you
would need for an efficient, distributed flow.

You may be able to piece something together, and it's probably worth
checking out what the Wizards/Matrices offer, but I don't suspect
that it will be the best choice. We have been actively considering
more sophisticated workflow at a broader Sakai level, but there is no
core component yet.

For a frame of reference, you may want to check out the document
management / workflow features provided by systems like Alfresco and
Xythos. There are members of the Sakai community who are experts with
these as well and may have done some integration.

Thanks,
-Noah