[Using Sakai] Sakai's Editor

Marshall Feldman marsh at uri.edu
Tue Jun 23 08:28:27 PDT 2009

Hi,

I'm new to Sakai, so please bear with me. I am finding three
shortcomings with Sakai's built-in editor:

   1. I often cut and paste links from the address field of my browser
      and insert them into my course. When I copy a link, it includes
      the full URI, protocol and all. However, Sakai's editor has a
      separate field for the protocol, so one cannot just cut and paste
      the link. Is there a way around this?
   2. The built-in editor has other issues. For example, it has a style
      drop-down, but displays only five styles. The default paragraph
      style (blank) is not one of these. "Title H3" is one of them, but
      what happened to H1, H2, H4, etc.? There is no "more" choice for
      styles not currently listed. Some of the tooltips are worthless
      (e.g., the one for Source). When I use the editor to post
      something on a forum, headings display fairly well in the editor,
      but in the post they are rendered almost indistinguishable from
      other text in the message.
   3. On a Windows PC, may standard keystrokes do not work with Sakai's
      editor (e.g., Ctrl-Backspace to erase the word to the left). Also,
      Sakai's editor seems hidden from standard browser features (e.g.,
      Firefox 3's built-in spell checking, which works with almost every
      web application I use besides Sakai). Is there any way around
      these limitations? For instance, can one configure Sakai to use by
      default a different embedded editor (such as FCKeditor
      <http://www.fckeditor.net/>) that may not have these limitations?

Thanks.
Marsh Feldman
--
Dr. Marshall Feldman, PhD
Director of Research and Academic Affairs

Center for Urban Studies and Research
The University of Rhode Island
email: marsh @ uri .edu (remove spaces)

      Contact Information:

        Kingston:

202 Hart House
Charles T. Schmidt Labor Research Center
The University of Rhode Island
36 Upper College Road
Kingston, RI 02881-0815
tel. (401) 874-5953: