[Using Sakai] Content Modules in Sakai?

New, Matthew mattlnew at umich.edu
Tue Jul 28 09:41:00 PDT 2009

Greetings Sakai group!

I was wondering if anyone has successfully implemented some type of content modules within Sakai.  We are migrating from Prometheus (another LMS product) to Sakai.

One of our current gaps is a technology in Prometheus called content modules.  I am trying to find out if Sakai has such a technology as well.  Let me try to explain:

In our current system, we can create 5 unique courses.  We can then create a "Page 1" content module, and link these 5 courses to this content module.

So... basically all 5 courses will have a page called "Page 1", and if we want to edit "Page 1" for all 5 courses, we simply just change the content module, and voila, all 5 courses are changed as well.

Another example:  If my 5 courses share a "Welcome to College of Engineering" main page, and we would like to change the "Welcome to College of Engineering" main page, we would only make the change once, and since all 5 courses get that content from a repository so to speak, we would not have to manually change every course.

I have found work-arounds in Sakai, but it includes creating a repository site that is accessible to the public, which is not good as we host secure/private information.

Does that make any sense?  I hope so... I would be glad to give a call if you think that a phone explanation would make more sense.

THANKS ALL!

Matthew New

InterPro / CoE

University of Michigan