[Using Sakai] Sakai Boston Hackathon: Go!

Nate Angell nate.angell at rsmart.com
Mon Jul 6 05:31:37 PDT 2009

On Wednesday, 8 July at 11am ET, the "Hackathon: Go" session will
launch Sakai Boston hackathon activities. We plan to organize the
hackathon in unconference format, which means that whoever shows up
decides what will happen. That means you!

What you can you do right now? Visit the Sakai Boston hackathon wiki
page and add your suggestions for hackathon session projects you'd
like to contribute to and lightning talks you'd like to give.
http://confluence.sakaiproject.org/x/HoDGAw

We will go over these lists and generate more ideas in the "Hackathon:
Go" session to start planning the rest of the week's activities. More
projects and lightning talks may well be added along the way. If you
want to help shape the hackathon, please contribute to the wiki and
attend the "Hackathon: Go" session.

The hackathon will take place throughout the Boston conference,
concluding with the "Hackathon: Stop" session 2:30pm ET Friday, 10
July, where we will review hackathon activities, evaluate the
hackathon process, and plan any next hackathon steps.

Anthony Whyte, David Horwitz  Noah Botimer and I proposed this
hackathon to encourage and make visible the hands-on work that goes on
at Sakai gatherings. We hope the hackathon will be a chance for
community members of all types—not just developers—to focus on small,
tangible pieces of work while they are face-to-face that will have
direct effects on the functionality, usability, accessibility,
internationalization, design, development, and/or quality assurance of
Sakai and its tools.

Think java is just a drink? That's OK! You should participate in the
hackathon too! Gatherings like Sakai Boston are the perfect chance for
everyone engaged with Sakai to share their experience in real time and
help shape Sakai in ways large and small. An instructor using Sakai
for the first time can add significant insight that can help
developers refine and improve functionality. Sakai implementors
migrating from other platforms can illustrate alternative workflows.
Small children can remind us why we bother! Just curious? Anyone can
watch, learn, and before you know it, add value.

If you are at Sakai Boston, please feel free to drop by the hackathon
sessions or activities at any time just to see what's going on. We
will try to keep the wiki page current with any scheduled activities.

Please send any questions or suggestions to the list here and I or my
fellow hackathoners will respond.

--
Nate Angell
Client Evangelist