[Using Sakai] Oxford Unit moves into production

Adam Marshall adam.marshall at oucs.ox.ac.uk
Fri Jul 3 02:45:09 PDT 2009

As of 30th June, Oxford University is running Sakai in production (v2.5.x).

We're using most of the core tools plus Mneme, Evaluations, Tutorial
Sign-up, Search and Site Stats. We've also integrated tightly with our LDAP,
developed a hierarchy service to allow us to arrange sites in a tree
structure and using this, introduced devolved administration via the concept
of Administrations Sites (admin site members are able to create new sites
within any site where they are a maintainer), we've also made it easy to
assign the .anon and .auth roles to any site to encourage Open Content.
We've also developed a hierarchy of Guidance sites with lots of
documentation and exemplars, visit weblearn.ox.ac.uk/info (no login
required).

(As a side note, there's a hierarchy BOF provisionally on the Friday of the
Boston conference at 9.30 AM if anybody want to know more. This has been
organised by Robin Hill.)

We ran a very successful pilot last year and attracted a large number of
early adopters from over 60 separate departments. These early adopters have
created over 700 separate
sites which have been accessed by over 4500 users. The pilot has generated
very positive feedback and we're looking forward to all our users (30,000)
moving their focus from the old Bodington-based service into nice shiny new
Sakai!

Adam marshall