[Using Sakai] Drop Box in Sakai - how to add instructions

Steve Lonn slonn at umich.edu
Tue Apr 28 07:51:30 PDT 2009

Fawei,

One option not mentioned in this thread is the idea of combining tools
on a single page.
Since the student only sees their drop box folder, there is a lot of
screen real estate available. You could make the Sakai page into a
dual column page with the drop box tool on one side and a web content
tool on the other and then use the web content tool to point to an
HTML document in Resources or other public space containing the
instructions for the drop box.

If this is a one time, site-specific setup, you can easily accomplish
this in the Admin Sites tool. If you want this setup for all course
sites, then you should think about making a template and making sure
the instructions page is in a public space (e.g., Admin Resources).

Remember, you can also rename tools on the left-hand menu bar. As soon
as students see "portfolios" instead of "assignments", their approach
and opinion of the tool changes, even though the tool itself remains
the same.

Cheers, Steve
Steven Lonn
Doctoral Candidate, Learning Technologies
School of Education

CTools / Sakai Staff
Graduate Student Research Assistant
Usability, Support, and Evaluation (USE) Lab
Digital Media Commons, Duderstadt Center
University of Michigan