[WG: Sakai QA] Possible blocker bug with Sakai 10 and groups/sections

Matthew Jones matthew at longsight.com
Tue Jun 17 07:53:31 PDT 2014

So it looks like this is related to

There was a change here that changed the the check to if the user has
access to the site to if they have access to the "allowAllGroups"
permission.
 if (a.getAccess() == Assignment.AssignmentAccess.SITE) if
(allowAllGroups(contextString))
In a course site by default, students don't have this permission checked by
default, so this blocks them from seeing these grouped assignments.

The *label* on this permission is "Same site level permissions for all
groups inside the site" which seems like it would make sense to give this
to Students and TA's by default OOTB if that's actually what it does but
the comment in the code says.

    /** Security function giving the user permission to all groups, if
granted to at the site level. */

So I'm not sure what this actually does in all cases. In any case it does
look like a regression from SAK-25312 on course sites where students don't
have the asn.all.groups permission assigned.