[WG: Sakai QA] Assignment resubmission issue

Neal Caidin neal.caidin at apereo.org
Mon Jun 16 06:22:56 PDT 2014

[sakai-dev, sakai-qa, and pedagogy]

Hi all,

Feedback requested on a bug found with Assignments. If interested please
read through and see if the proposed solution/Patch makes sense.

The bug is in Sakai 2.9 and possibly earlier and still exists in the
current version of Sakai 10.  We may or may not have time to get a fix
into 10.0 before we release, in which case the fix would be in 10.1 .
Will need QA resources to help with this one.

Problem
Assignments tool:  If a student takes an assignment, the instructor
grades it and chooses the "Allow Resubmission" checkbox and clicks the
"Save and Don't Release to Student" button , then when the student
resubmits the assignment and the instructor goes to look at the
resubmitted text, it is the old text from the original submission. The
student sees the updated text that they submitted, it is getting saved.
Oddly, if the instructor chooses "Save and Release to Student" with the
"Allow Resubmission" checkbox the process works fine and the instructor
does see the updated assignment text.

Additional Notes
The problem appears to be only with the resubmission of the assignment
text and not with attachments, based on my testing so far.
There are two places in which an instructor can allow student
resubmissions, the first grading page with a list of students, and
grading an single assignment. In Sakai 10.0 the first grading page
option for submitting assignments is broken, but does work on Sakai 2.9.
I'm seeing the same problem with both workflows however, the grading
page with list of students and individual grading pages.

Proposed solution/Patch
Fixes the problem described above (SAK-26323) and changes the current
behavior slightly. Currently, if the instructor chooses "Allow
Resubmission"/"Save and Don't Release to Student" , the student will
have the opportunity to resubmit but will not see the instructor comment
on his/her original work. The student does see the instructor comment if
"Allow Resubmission"/"Save and Release to Student" combination is used.

In the slightly changed, newly proposed workflow, the student would see
the instructor comment on the first resubmission attempt, on the grounds
that the student should edit their submission to reflect the comment. (I
hope I got this right).

This seems like an improvement to me, do you agree?

Thanks,
Neal

--
Neal Caidin