[WG: Sakai QA] New forums feature "Automatically create multiple topics for groups" on 2.9x

Andrea Schmidt agschmid at umail.iu.edu
Fri Jan 11 13:23:56 PST 2013

Hello,

I've been doing some testing on 2.9x with the new forum feature "Automatically
create multiple topics for groups"

I read through the following Jiras, but am still confused on the expected
behavior:
https://jira.sakaiproject.org/browse/MSGCNTR-231
https://jira.sakaiproject.org/browse/MSGCNTR-628

Testing was done on http://nightly2.sakaiproject.org:8087/
 2.9.x on HSQLDB - Built: 01/11/13 01:00 - Sakai sakai-2.9.x-all (Kernel
1.3-SNAPSHOT)- Server localhost

When creating a new forum, and there are groups in the site, the student
and groups permission settings display. At this point, I do not want to
take away student permissions and give a specific group permissions because
I want to automatically create topics for groups.
Save the forum, then click Save Settings and Add Topic
Name the new topic “Group topic”
Select “Automatically create multiple topics for groups”
Groups to choose from display - select both groups
Click Save

Now the title for each topic automatically created indicates that one is
for group1 and the other for group2

As a student from group2, go into the group1 topic and post
As the instructor, check the permissions for the group1

Student AND group1 have contributor rights. I would not have expected the
student to have contributor rights since, when I manually create topics
available only to groups, I take away student rights to contribute and give
rights to the specific group. Using the "automatic" feature, I expected the
same behavior.

Can someone explain exactly how "Automatically create multiple topics for
groups" should work?

Thank you,
Andrea Schmidt