[WG: Sakai QA] Keyword Test Framework for Sakai

Chris Kretler ckretler at umich.edu
Thu Aug 4 08:21:42 PDT 2011

Hello all,

We at Michigan have been working on a project to make functional test
automation easier.  The project is called the 'Keyword Test Framework'.
A keyword test framework simplifies the process of functional test
script creation and execution.  Using a keyword test framework, a user
writes tests in a simplified language that is translated by the
framework and sent to the automation engine, Selenium in this case.  The
framework also handles the management of running multiple test cases,
error handling and log file creation for each test case.

The framework has been written in java, and runs as an executable jar
file.  It requires the Selenium Server 2.x, which in turn needs Java
1.6.  Documentation for the keyword framework can be found here
<https://confluence.sakaiproject.org/display/QA/Keyword+Testing+Framework>.
There are links on that page to the latest keyword jar file, sample
properties file, test scripts, and source code.  The test scripts were
written for CTools, our local Sakai installation, and would need to be
modified to work in other environments.

This project is still in the early stages.  We have had good success to
date with the CLE and will continue to expand our base of scripts moving
forward.  I would welcome any comments or feedback that you have.  It is
my hope that this can be used by other Sakai institutions, in addition
to here in Ann Arbor.

Regards,
Chris Kretler
University of Michigan