[WG: Sakai QA] [DG: User Experience] [Building Sakai] Jira upgrade: 3.13.2 -> 4.1.2

Anthony Whyte arwhyte at umich.edu
Fri Sep 17 12:38:09 PDT 2010

Yes, the "washed-out" complaint regarding, in particular, the view issue page appears widespread.  See

http://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRA-20669

You can compare the new look against the old here:

Jira 3.13.2: http://jira.sakaiproject.org/browse/SAK-15817
Jira 4.1.2: http://72.249.101.17:8080/browse/SAK-15817

The new look lacks the clear delineations that once existed that helped the eye navigate between details, description, etc.   The issue operations that appeared on the left have migrated to a horizontal operations bar.  There are other UI changes that will require getting used to but I think delaying the upgrade while we wait for Atlassian to tweek the GUI is not in our interest.

Personally, I'd like to take advantage of improvements to "bulk move" operations that now include the mapping of old project values for components and versions to new values, a feature lacking in Jira 3 that made moving issues between projects (such as Sakai -> Samigo) problematic.  Other new features and fixes are listed in the 4.1 release notes:

http://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/JIRA+4.1+Release+Notes

In addition, I have added the charting plugin to the test instance per Alan Mark's request and am also working to add the Greenhopper agile project management plugin per Beth Kirschner's request.

Cheers,

Anth