[WG: Sakai QA] Fwd: Automated testing -- Tools discussion

Corey McGarrahan corey at rsmart.com
Thu May 6 10:16:40 PDT 2010

The Selenium tests are based on manual test procedures rSmart had written a
little over 2yrs ago? They were based off of the scripts found in Sakai
Confluence<http://confluence.sakaiproject.org/display/QA/Test+Conditions+and+Scripts>.
We rewrote the scripts in hopes of employing non Sakai people to help with
testing as well as for automation. The scripts in Sakai are not very useful
for people without intimate knowledge of Sakai and leave too many variables
open for automation. You can see the procedures we based the automation on
here <http://confluence.sakaiproject.org/display/QA/New+Test+Plans>.

Per your comments, I've updated the readme.txt to better reflect whats in
the test_suite. I've also updated the suite names. Some tests can be used
across 2.6 and 2.7 due to no functionality change. As of now, the html
scripts are in far better shape as well as there being many more available.
I have set up some time to finish exporting the rest of the 2.7 tests into
the TestNG format before the end of day Friday.

As for what to use when, it depends on the build and the frequency of the
build. The setup suites both now have a Teardown sequence before they setup
new users and courses.
The suites each have a url default that will need to be edited depending on
where you are trying to run them.
2.6 - http://nightly2.sakaiproject.org:8087/portal
2.7 - http://qa1-nl.sakaiproject.org/portal

--