[WG: Sakai QA] Sakai QA] QA Server Confusion

Noah Botimer botimer at umich.edu
Wed Jan 13 07:47:21 PST 2010

I'm sorry. I meant every time I want to go to a given server. I
prefer fail-fast to fail-long-and-confusing (maybe burning 30 minutes
testing something on the wrong version at the same host). A missing
server is way better than testing on one that silently jumped releases.

For example, people will get in a groove and test multiple hours a
day for a week on the same server or two. If they have to keep
checking the statline for release line and version, it burdens the
process considerably. Checking Confluence regularly to keep the pulse
is probably even less friendly.

It is *exactly* the right place for the canonical reference, but
hostnames/ports shouldn't be volatile with respect to which release/
config they represent.

Thanks,
-Noah