[WG: Sakai QA] QA servers and Config Viewer/Editor

Matthew Jones jonespm at umich.edu
Thu Sep 17 06:25:41 PDT 2009

Well, Tony updated the poms before he left, I just fixed a couple of
small jiras to get it working with last minute changed in 2.6. We are
only using config viewer so I don't know much about config editor
though I did get it up and running in a local 2.6 build. You have to
apply the patches to entitybroker and kernel (to allow realtime
modification of property values)
https://source.sakaiproject.org/viewsvn/config-editor/trunk/patches/?root=contrib

All of the fixes I'd made to trunk and hope to make some of these improvements.

I don't believe that config editor notifies other servers of setting
changes, nor does it write the changes and load them up at startup. In
order for the cluster to know about changes it would need to either be
notified via entitybroker or poll the database table.

We were thinking of using config-editor as a backend source for our
tool to allow runtime tool disabling:

(https://source.sakaiproject.org/viewsvn/inactivate_tools/?root=contrib)

However we ended up writing a simpler tool with a YAML input. The
database table consisting of key:value pairs is similar to what config
editor would likely use to mimic a property file. Not sure about
multi-value properties, perhaps just storing as csv (should really
have csv reading/writing in the kernel SAK-14640) or a yaml syntax.

One of my top annoyances is the sakai property file and not being able
to adjust some things (log levels, presence) at runtime. I also love
how the evaluation tool has it's own set of runtime defined (and
cluster propagated) properties, and wish something generic like this
existed for all tools. But there's other things above that in my todo
list at the moment. :/