[WG: Sakai QA] [DG: User Experience] Proposal: create new Jira issue type: proposal

Stephen Marquard stephen.marquard at uct.ac.za
Tue May 5 04:51:58 PDT 2009

Rather than creating a new issue type, which has the potential to confuse newcomers to JIRA, why not just use a Task issue type with the convention of putting Proposal: in the subject line? Or use a component.

Cheers
Stephen

Stephen Marquard, Learning Technologies Co-ordinator
Centre for Educational Technology, University of Cape Town
http://www.cet.uct.ac.za
Email/IM/XMPP: stephen.marquard at uct.ac.za
Phone: +27-21-650-5037 Cell: +27-83-500-5290

>>> On 2009/05/05 at 12:18 AM, Anthony Whyte <arwhyte at umich.edu> wrote:
Sakai-Dev sees its share of technical proposals; some get approved,
some get rejected, while others get put on hold for one reason or
another.  Searching for proposals can be tricky as some proposals get
recorded in Jira, others proposed only on a Sakai list.

I'd like to propose that we add a new task type called "proposal" in
Jira where proposals can be submitted, voted on, watched, assigned,
tracked, resolved and closed.  "Feature Request" won't do; my recent
proposal to delete Eclipse metadata files is a task not a feature
request, one worth polling the community to see if support existed
for such work (so far unanimous approval along with several excellent
suggestions as to how it should be done correctly).

Adding "proposal" as a type permits easy searching: searching on
"upgrade" or filtering on "global" does not return a clean list of
outstanding proposals and I think we should promote easy ways for
people to search and track suggested initiatives (after all, for
instance, we have the end of life of Java 1.5 to contemplate).
Requiring that technical proposals are logged in Jira would create
one central proposals repository.

Along with it we adjust our proposal handling protocol to something
like this:

1) document your proposal in Jira
2) announce it on Sakai-Dev and/or other appropriate Sakai lists and
seek community comment and support (vote on list or in Jira)
3) record community feedback  (e.g., "I suggest this approach",
"Don't forget to do x", "This is not the right time for n reasons,"
etc.) in Jira
4) if proposal approved change status to approve / if not approved
change status to rejected, resolution "won't fix" (or add another
resolution type)
6) when ready to implement, change type to task, add affects version,
status open/in progress
7) resolve, test, close

That is my proposal.

Cheers,

Anthony

Some outstanding proposals :

Add a proposal type in Jira
Delete Eclipse metadata files from SVN
Upgrade to Maven 2.0.10 (or thereabouts)
Upgrade to Java SE 6 (e.g., 1.6)

Upgrade to Tomcat 6
http://bugs.sakaiproject.org/jira/browse/SAK-8544
http://bugs.sakaiproject.org/jira/browse/SAK-10720  (closed)