[WG: Sakai QA] [Building Sakai] [DG: User Experience] QA and user testing

Clay Fenlason clay.fenlason at et.gatech.edu
Fri Jul 31 09:39:13 PDT 2009

I think you're hoping for a small answer, but I think I need to
attempt a big one anyway, though I hope it still manages to be
incisive on the point of your concern.

> Is the usability review a part of the decision about accepting the changes into the release,
> or is it to collect information that could improve documentation and inform future changes?

The second, especially since we haven't done this before as a
community.  It's too late in the game to think about using this sort
of thing as gateway criteria for 2.7, not to mention that user testing
should be part of the design process at the outset. Again I think the
best way to think of it is as analogous to other QA work. We're
looking for rough edges that might be easily sanded down, not a new
bar that needs to be vaulted. And yes, we're trying also to share
expertise about how to do this sort of work well. By extension, we're
also trying to work out more ways for the expertise in our UX
community to have a practical impact on the evolution of the product,
and as it does so perhaps even make our UX community a more engaging
place to be. My interest in this area is more longer term than focused
on 2.7 in particular.

That said, if user testing reveals 'blocker' issues (where that means
essentially what it has always meant - a consensus that the severity
is such that it shouldn't be released in that form), then I think we
would have to take that seriously, and deal with it as we do other
blockers.  That seems a highly unlikely outcome to me in the case of
the Forums interface work we've mentioned, since much of the work has
emerged already from conversations between schools using Forums in
production, and Michigan's even been running this particular branch.
User testing may reveal UX issues of lesser severity, and these could
form documentation for what a next round of improvements should
tackle. That's my picture of how this could work, at any rate.

On another note, it's been disappointing over the years to see how
quickly usability and accessibility issues are demoted to "minor" in
JIRA reporting.  By the same token I've been underwhelmed in the past
with some of our handwavy release claims of "UI enhancements."  We've
done relatively little to substantiate such claims or prepare the
training and support staff at partner institutions for how they'll
need to adapt, even if it is a clear improvement. So the documentation
in my view should not only be about best practices for future
development, it should also result in more substantive release
documentation for deploying institutions trying to plan whether or
when to upgrade.

HTH

~Clay