[WG: Sakai QA] [DG: User Experience] User Experience] why aseparate step to join sites?

Stephen Marquard stephen.marquard at uct.ac.za
Fri Jul 24 10:22:12 PDT 2009

Right, bring on the liberated Sakai 3 use cases :-)

Now at the risk of polluting the discussion with 2isms, those of us who use 2.x with a CM implementation are familiar with the concept of mapping sites to group membership through provider IDs (though if your SIS can reliably identify who is a "first year student" then you're in more luck than we are, but we can identify groups by course code, programme code, faculty of registration, student residence, etc.). The remaining distinction which it would be useful to collapse is that between account types and groups.

"Joinability" could be considered as a parallel concept to site membership (with very similar implementation), in that it carries the same types of lookup requirements, e.g.

Define the membership of this site in terms of groups & people / Am I member of this site / List the members of this site / List all the sites I'm a member of

Define the joinability of this site in terms of groups & people / Can I join this site / List the people who can join this site / List all the sites I can join.

Cheers
Stephen

On 24 Jul 2009, at 16:43, Stephen Marquard wrote:

> [...] So all of the use cases are supported by the Sakai 2 authz
> scheme. It mostly just requires some changes in Site Info and the
> portal to support this correctly.
>
> Regards
> Stephen

I *think* all the use cases mentioned assume the limitations of the
Sakai 2 view of the world. I was thinking of something like "make this
site joinable by any first year student". This is the detachment of
groups membership from site membership.

Not to say that you can't go a long way with improvements to Sakai 2,
just that there will be more options with 3 and I didn't want the use-
case collection to be limited by our understanding of what is
currently possible. I think the Cape Town need for very large sites /
might/ be helped by this sort of model.

John