[WG: Sakai QA] [DG: User Experience] User Experience] why aseparate step to join sites?

John Norman john at caret.cam.ac.uk
Fri Jul 24 08:54:35 PDT 2009

On 24 Jul 2009, at 16:43, Stephen Marquard wrote:

> [...] So all of the use cases are supported by the Sakai 2 authz
> scheme. It mostly just requires some changes in Site Info and the
> portal to support this correctly.
>
> Regards
> Stephen

I *think* all the use cases mentioned assume the limitations of the
Sakai 2 view of the world. I was thinking of something like "make this
site joinable by any first year student". This is the detachment of
groups membership from site membership.

Not to say that you can't go a long way with improvements to Sakai 2,
just that there will be more options with 3 and I didn't want the use-
case collection to be limited by our understanding of what is
currently possible. I think the Cape Town need for very large sites /
might/ be helped by this sort of model.

John