[WG: Sakai QA] Sakai 2.6 and 2.5.5 Release Announcements

Pete Peterson plpeterson at ucdavis.edu
Thu Jul 23 10:13:09 PDT 2009

Greetings Sakai Community,

It is with no small amount of exuberance that we pen (key) the following words;  Sakai 2.6.0, the latest release of the Sakai Collaboration and Learning Environment, is now officially released and available to the Sakai community worldwide. We are also simultaneously releasing Sakai 2.5.5, the latest maintenance release of the Sakai Collaboration and Learning Environment in the 2.5.x series. These releases represent the efforts of many dedicated designers, developers, testers  and others. We want to thank all of you for your efforts, skills and time in these endeavors.

Release Information

Sakai 2.6.0

Sakai 2.6 addresses over 1500 issues and enhancements, including a number of security and performance enhancements.

Details of the release

Overview
*       Features a number of functionality enhancements, internationalization and performance improvements, and support for IBM Websphere and DB2.
*       Binds to a reorganized, repackaged set of low-level "kernel" services that are now released separately.
*       Features a new license, the Educational Community License, version 2.0<http://www.opensource.org/licenses/ecl2.php>.

Sakai 2.6.0 Distributions
*       Source, binary and demo versions are available at the Sakai Subversion repository or from the Sakai 2.6.0 website<http://source.sakaiproject.org/release/2.6.0/>.

Documentation and Overview
*       Sakai 2.6 Documentation<http://confluence.sakaiproject.org/display/DOC/Sakai+2.6> (Overview, Installation, Configuration, etc.)
*       Sakai 2.6 Overview<http://confluence.sakaiproject.org/download/attachments/3440646/Sakai+2.6+Overview+29-Apr-2009.pptx?version=3> (PowerPoint)

QA and Instances
*       QA/Testing Results<http://confluence.sakaiproject.org/x/IYApAQ>
*       Test Instances<http://confluence.sakaiproject.org/x/XIApAQ>

We want to thank everyone who has contributed and participated to the Sakai 2.6.0 release effort - Special thanks goes out to Anthony Whyte, David Horwitz, Noah Botimer, Beth Kirschner, Matthew Jones, Jean-Francois Leveque, Adam Hocek, Michael Lavacca, Karen Tsao, Lydia Li, Peter Knoop, Thomas Amsler, Megan May, Angela Joyce Henry, Nancy Wilkison, Vern O'Connor and everyone who participated in the weekly release management meetings. We also want to take a moment to express our thanks to the early-adopters institutions (University of Cape Town, Indiana, Rutgers, Yale, and others) who are currently running release candidates of 2.6.0 successfully in production or test environments. Their efforts and feedback played a significant role in helping to identify critical issues, test installations and overall increase the quality of this release dramatically. And a last thank you to all the developers who volunteered their time to step up and address many unforeseen issues in the last few months.

Sakai 2.5.5 Maintenance Release

Sakai 2.5.5 addresses over 200 issues, including a number of security and performance enhancements.

Details of the release

Sakai 2.5.5 Distributions
*       Source, binary and demo versions are available at the Sakai Subversion repository or from the Sakai 2.5.5 website<http://source.sakaiproject.org/release/2.5.5/>.

Documentation and Overview
*       Sakai 2.5.5 Documentation<http://confluence.sakaiproject.org/x/cAE5Ag> (Overview, Installation, Configuration, etc.)

We want to thank everyone who has contributed and participated to the Sakai 2.5.5 release - Special thanks goes out to Matthew Jones, Jean-Francois Leveque, Karen Tsao, Lydia Li, Anthony Whyte, Peter Knoop, Michael Lockett, Angela Joyce Henry, Thomas Amsler, Nancy Wilkison, Vern O'Connor and everyone who participated in the weekly release management meetings for all their efforts and assistance to make this release a reality.

Regards,

Pete Peterson
QA Director, Sakai Foundation
plpeterson at ucdavis.edu<mailto:plpeterson at ucdavis.edu>