[WG: Sakai QA] Jira process clarification and modification - "Target Version"

Noah Botimer botimer at umich.edu
Fri Aug 21 00:46:59 PDT 2009

Hello Pete,

I am very sympathetic to this idea [2]. I am also grateful for your
efforts to rationalize our practices. However, I have to resist this
proposal, at least as an immediate change.

As I am sure you are aware, we've tried a Target Version field
previously (see references). It seems to come up around every
summer / pending code freeze and didn't work out well last time.

After much personal deliberation, I'm still not entirely convinced
either way. But, as a counterproposal, I offer the following:

I now believe that our confusion is not primarily due to a lack of
fields, but a lack of clear, intuitive guidelines. For example, many
issues are fixed in trunk and left as Open or Resolved until they are
merged to 2.5.x or 2.6.x, while many are marked Closed. We have
confusion built into how we handle the Status, Resolution and Merge
Status, not just the versions.

We also have a distributed enough community that setting up paths
through deferred, central gates is unrealistic. The reality is that
we have smart, responsible people who do great work and get busy on
other things. We need to entrust them with the code and tools they
touch daily. It seems counterproductive to hope for someone else to
retrace our tracks, find our tickets, rediscover the true status,
merge our fixes, and twiddle some JIRA bits. Monitoring and
reconciling the outlying errors rather than using complex rules and
forced hand-offs is more practical and, frankly, more respectful of
our valued colleagues and contributors.

This goes to a concrete suggestion, rather than to an outright
redefinition of your goal. Three principles first:

   1. I believe that we need to use the Status field to reflect
definitively whether work is pending, in progress, or completed on an
issue. That is, Closed should mean done, period.

   2. I believe that simpler, shorter-lived tickets are easier to
create, compare, and track through the lifecycle than long-lived,
complex tickets tracking overlapping strands of work.

   3. I believe that we need a very straightforward map of our common
scenarios and how an exemplary ticket in each would look, and that
people should be encouraged to clarify and fix ones that are outside
these lines, driving everything toward some archetype.

To meet with these principles, I suggest that we evaluate the
following for fitness:

   1. Favoring subtasks (which may be assigned) over our merge status
fields when something is fixed in trunk and should be included in a
maintenance release

   2. Adding a Verified workflow state to designate work that has
passed testing but does not reside in its final destination(s) (e.g.,
feature branch, msub, or multi-version merge)

   3. Guiding our contributor community in setting Fix Version
appropriately as a target for unresolved issues and allowing this to
default into zero-touch accuracy when following through to actual
resolution

Thanks again for carrying this torch. We appreciate the hard work you
do for us all. I look forward to the dialogue.

Thanks,
-Noah

[1] http://www.nabble.com/Fwd%3A-Tracking-Status-of-JIRA-Tickets-
ts10991816.html